Sunday 27 May 2012

Day 1 - questions, questions...

It's all very well just coming out and saying "I'm going to write a book".  Anyone can do that; and indeed, it's been stated that everyone has at least one book in them.  But it's pointless getting everyone's hopes up, and then doing nothing about it.


That's partly what this blog is for.  Every time I do anything related to the book, I'll post about it here.  I won't post what it is, but it'll be evidence that progress is being made.  So if this goes quiet for a month, then either I'm very ill or this was all pie in the sky.


But it's not something that I've just decided to do out of the blue.  It's an idea I've had in my head for many years, and something I've given a lot of thought to recently.  I've planned it out: I've had the title for years, I've got the cover art concept in my mind; I've got tons of folders on my PC, all named after the people I want to feature, all with sub-folders for their games or other things.  In fact, if I was raided by the police, I might come across a bit like a creepy stalker.


I've done lots of writing by now, and I've even had a few people tell me that they enjoy it.  So I think I'm heading down the right path.  But I'm very open to suggestions.  That's where the 'Comments' sections will come in handy.


Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see in this book.  Any programmer in particular, any games you loved.  Bear in mind that at this point in time, I'm expecting to focus almost exclusively on Commodore 64 and Sinclair Spectrum programmers.  But I'm not ruling anything or anyone out just yet.  Would you buy a book featuring both those computers?  Would you prefer a Volume 1 and Volume 2, splitting those apart?  They're all things to be taken into consideration.


I've written a few pages so far.  Nothing major, just an introduction, an "About Me", and a full page each about a couple of games.  So if we're not exactly on the road, then we're certainly pulling out of the garage.  I look forward to keeping everyone informed and hearing your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Ok Paul, you asked. :)

    Mike Singleton, Tony Crowther, Archer Maclean, Rob Hubbard (not a coder as you know but the greatest of the sid pioneers). That's a start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike Singleton! Great call, I didn't have him down. Probably because I was rubbish at his games... but there's no doubt he should be in. The others you mentioned are accounted for in my plans. The SID wizards will need a mention, certainly...

    ReplyDelete